Thursday, September 4, 2014

Blog Assignment #2


Mr. Dancealot

I believe the central message of this video is you learn how you are taught.  The author makes the case by lecturing dance moves, standing behind a desk when showing the moves so you could not see his feet, and by not allowing the students to interact and practice and then asking them to show physically what they "learned" mentally for their exam.  You could tell in class that the teaching method wasn't working.  Half of the students were sleeping and the other half were confused.  When it came to the final exam and they were instructed to show what they had learned by dancing, none of them had a clue what they were doing.  I agree with the conclusion.  He had end with that conclusion to get the point across.  If he would have given a written test the students probably would have done a little better since they had written notes of his dance lectures.

Teaching in the 21st Century

I was a little unclear of what Roberts thinks it means to teach in the 21st century but I think what Roberts means is that teachers need to evolve with technology in the 21st century and use it to their advantage when teaching.  He is telling teachers not be to afraid of change but to embrace it because it's changing with or without us.
Students can find anything out at anytime with google, cell phone, twitter, etc.
Teachers are no longer our main source for knowledge
Meaning of creation now vs then
Rethink tools and types of problems we ask the students to solve
Challenge them use technology in their homework assignments
Entertainment vs Engagement
I definitely feel that he is right in some ways.  Technology is constantly evolving and in order for us to be successful teachers we have to evolve with it.  I don't agree that teachers will be obsolete. There are just some things that computers/technology can't do.  They can give you all of the facts and information you need but they can't show emotion and physical interaction which kids really need.  It will definitely affect me as an educator.  I grew up without cable television, without internet/computer, and they just released the cell phone when I was a teenager.  Most kids these days know how to use a cell phone and computer by the time they are 5 years old.  In order for me to keep up with technology in the classroom I will need to learn and know how to use it. Not only will I need it to keep up with my students but it will be great for teacher resources and communication with fellow educators.

The Networked Student

My reaction was somewhat confusing.  On one hand I see the great resources we have at our fingertips but on the other I feel like technology is taking over.  On a daily basis I see people on their phones while driving, while out on a date, while eating at a restaurant, and so on.  I am sort of an anti technology person because of this reason.  I feel like it is taking over real communication and social skills.  Because of this, I don't really keep up with social networking so I am always a step behind.  When it comes to learning, researching, and teaching I feel like these tools could be vital but they are all so confusing.  In this EDM class, which is a lot like the class described in the video, I find myself very confused, anxious, and worried.  There are too many new resources to keep up with.  Just having more than three tabs open at the top of my computers stresses me out.  Everything is easier once you learn it but when something is foreign to you it may take a little longer to adjust.  It was neat to see all of the research and information he received just from the internet.  Being able to communicate with people around the world allowed him to get a variety of opinions which made his research more interesting.

Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts

Vicki Davis' main point is to get her students comfortable with all kinds of technology.  She connects her students to the rest of the world by technology.  My reaction is it is very important for students to comfortably navigate a computer but it is not the most important.  That is just my personal opinion.  I may be stubborn but I am not stupid.  I know one day pen and paper will be obsolete and there will be nothing but technology. These classes will better help prepare the students for their future.

Who's Ahead in the Learning Race?

Elementary is definitely ahead in the learning race.  As an undergrad I feel that this is not our fault.  We did not grow up with the technology we have today. We didn't have individual Macbooks or iPads that were given to us in elementary school nor any one to teach us how to use it.  I wouldn't even have a laptop now if my job didn't provide one for me.  This is not an excuse, just the facts.  I'm sure when the kids in the video get in college the elementary students will be ahead of them in the learning race.

Flipping the Classroom

Yes, this is the first time I have heard of flipping the classroom,  I do believe it will be useful to me as a teacher.  It will allow the students to be prepared when they enter the classroom.  It will cut out more of the lesson  time and provide more time for questions and practicing problems.  This would have to be something I would have to review in classrooms that uses this process before I would use it in mine.  It is a great concept but it could also make things more confusing.

Bringing the Locker Room into the Classroom

Teaching them how to act and respond from the beginning is something I could use in my classroom.  Letting them know that it's OK to be enthusiastic and to discuss and interact with the other students about the subject I am teaching.  Most teachers tell their students to sit down and be quite throughout the class.  That is boring and it makes the students not excited about what you are teaching them.

Callie Barton

Team Huddle



1 comment:

  1. LATE
    "Just having more than three tabs open at the top of my computers stresses me out." Oh my!

    "I know one day pen and paper will be obsolete and there will be nothing but technology." We are there already!

    " I'm sure when the kids in the video get in college the elementary students will be ahead of them in the learning race." You may be correct. What implications does this have for the profession of teaching?

    You must be ON TIME with all your work in EDM310.

    ReplyDelete