Friday, September 5, 2014

Blog Assignment #3

Blog Post 3

How Can You Provide Meaningful Feedback to Your Peers?

a. Watch the video, What is Peer Editing?  Keep in mind that there will be no assignments or quiz as stated in the video presentation.  This short video offers clear, simple advice on how to edit effectively.

b. View the slideshow, Peer Edit With Perfection Tutorial.

c. Watch the humorous video, Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes.  Don't be a mean Margaret or a Picky Patty!

d. Write two or more paragraphs detailing what you learned from material listed in a, b, and c above.


Peer editing seems to be self explanatory but you actually need to learn rules and have some experience and/or practice to be effective.  In the video, What is Peer Editing?, I learned the 3 steps to editing which are compliments, rules, and to stay positive.  You would start with giving the person you are editing a compliment about their work.  You would then make suggestions on how they could make their work better.  You could make suggestions about word choice, using details, organization, sentences, etc.  Lastly you would make the corrections.  Be specific but be polite.  The slideshow, Peer Edit With Perfection Tutorial, basically just reiterated the same peer editing steps in the first video.  Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes was very cute.  I learned by this video that there are a lot of mistakes that can be made when doing peer editing.  It is not only the editor that makes mistakes but sometimes the person you are editing that can be difficult.  One of my favorite examples was Defensive Dave.  It is easy to feel pride in ones work and it is hard when someone comes in and critics it.  

I actually learned more from these videos than I thought I would.  I always had a problem critiquing others work.  It was easier with the concrete corrections like grammar or punctuation but when it came to personal opinion I always kept it to myself.  I felt that it is their work and they could write how they wanted to.  I believe peer editing helps the editor more than it does the person who is being edited.  I think it opens up their eyes to mistakes and may help them edit and critique their work more closely.  I will use these videos as a reference when commenting on other students blogs and assignments.  This is also definitely an activity I will try in my classroom.

Callie Barton





3 comments:

  1. Hi Callie! I also loved the cute example of Defensive Dave in the peer editing mistakes video. It is hard to have your work critiqued at times but seeing that video was a good reminder to not only have a positive attitude while you are critiquing someone's work but to also stay positive when it is your own work being critiqued. I also agreed with your comment about how critiquing someone else's work can benefit both of you because I am a visual leaner and when I see a mistake, I usually make a mental note of what to look for when editing my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Remember to add links leading to what you are writing about in your blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Callie! Great post! You did very well with your grammar and I felt that you did a great job not carrying things on and on. I feel this blog post helps all of us as students to critique each other's work!

    ReplyDelete