Friday, September 19, 2014

Blog Assignment #5 Part 1



My PLN

Before I had this assignment I had never heard of a PLN.  A Personal Learning Network "is the set of people and tools that you can call upon for help, consultation, collaboration, or other assistance" according to Dr. Strange. Your PLN can be a wonderful resource, especially as an educator. Being able to communicate and reach out to other educators is a great way to be more successful yourself as a teacher.

To begin developing my PLN I first made an account on Symbaloo.  I was surprised that there was already a Twitter and Facebook symbol that was already logged into my accounts.  I also liked the fact that Google search is directly in the middle with all of my other sites around it.  I watched the Symbaloo introduction video that is on the main page.  I then started playing around with it seeing how everything navigates.  I deleted some of the stock symbols and added some new ones to make it more personal.  I also organized them all into the most used to the least used sites.  I found this site to be so useful, easy, and organized that I saved it as my home screen for Google Chrome and Internet Explorer.  I added a tab at the top for all of my education resources so I can have them all in the same place.

One of the reasons it was so hard for me to keep up in this class in the beginning is that I feel overwhelmed when there are too many places to visit for assignments, blogs, checklists, etc.  When I am not organized I feel like I have no control.  Under my education resources tab I added my Blogger, EDM310s blog, and Google Drive so I will have my resources for this class all in the same place.  I feel like this will really help me to stay organized with all of my online resources.  I am excited to use this site and keep adding new resources.

Symbaloo Image

Callie Barton

2 comments:

  1. Callie like you i have never heard of a PLN before and like you I love organization. this sight has very much helped me quicken the pace of this course. while everything is there on one click maybe my most favorite feature on Symbaloo. I also started useing this as my main screen to help me in this class and it can also help many others get informed on sharing the site to others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But what is a PLN? Did you check out any of the sources Dr. Strange posted to help you learn what a PLN is?

    ReplyDelete